New citizens

Now you are an Australian citizen, you have the right and responsibility to enrol and vote in federal, state, territory, and local government elections.

To enrol, you must:

  • Be over 16 (you can enrol early so when you turn 18 you’ll be able to vote)
  • Be an Australian citizen, and
  • Have lived at your address for at least one month.

To enrol or change your details, you will need:

  • Your driver’s licence, or
  • Australian passport number, or
  • Medicare card number, or
  • Australian citizenship number, or
  • Have someone who is enrolled verify who you are.

Need more information? Please visit

Translated information

Click one of the language links below to download translated information in your language, or ring the number to access the Telephone Interpreter Service.

Other languages

If you require assistance in a language other than those listed on this page, please call 1300 720 153.

Extra assistance contacting the AEC

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service:

  • TTY users phone 13 36 77 and ask for 13 23 26
  • Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 and quote 13 23 26
  • Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 13 23 26

In-language information (videos)

Alternate formats are available for download.
Updated: 12 March 2024