Jointly named in honour of Elizabeth Macarthur (1766–1850) and Captain John Macarthur (1767–1834). The Macarthurs were early settlers in New South Wales and founders of the Australian merino wool industry.
363 sq km
Macarthur covers an area from The Northern Road, Narellan Road, and the western border of the Campbelltown City Council in the west to the eastern border of the Shire of Campbelltown in the east. The northern boundary follows the northern border of the Camden Council and Campbelltown City Council, Campbelltown Road, Williamson and Henderson Roads. The southern boundary follows the southern boundary of the Campbelltown City Council. The main suburbs include Airds, Blairmount, Bradbury, Campbelltown, Catherine Field, Claymore, Currans Hill, Denham Court, Glen Alpine, Gilead, Harrington Park, Ingleburn, Leppington, Leumeah, Menangle Park, Minto, Oran Park, Raby, Rosemedow, St. Andrews, St. Helens Park and Wedderburn. This description reflects local government areas in existence in 2015.
Products/industries of the area:
Commercial, service, small business and light industrial activities, fruit, vegetable, fodder crops and wine production.
Outer Metropolitan – situated in capital cities and containing large areas of recent suburban expansion.