Lodge a financial disclosure return
Who needs to lodge an annual return?
- Registered political parties
- Political campaigners
- Associated entities
- Donors to political parties
- Third parties
How to lodge an annual return
Other than for political campaigners, annual returns can be lodged through the eReturns portal. Political Campaigners will need to lodge a paper form for the 2018-19 financial year. These will be available from 1 July 2019.
To use eReturns you will need to obtain a username and password. Registered political parties and associated entities must contact the AEC to arrange a username and password. Donors and third parties that do not have an eReturns account may create their own.
Who needs to lodge an election return?
- Candidates for a Federal Election, for either the House of Representatives or the Senate
- Donors to candidates
More information can be found on the Candidates and Senate groups page.
How to lodge an election return
Election returns can be lodged through the eReturns portal.
To use eReturns you will need to obtain a username and password. The AEC will issue candidates and agents with a username and password. Donors that do not have an eReturns account may create their own.
The eReturns portal will provide you with all the information you need to lodge your return online. The following tips will help you to complete your return.
- In order to access eReturns you need to provide a valid email address. After the initial sign-up process, eReturns will send a confirmation email to your nominated address. You will need to locate that email and click on the link it contains before you can lodge your return or log back into eReturns. If you cannot find an email from eReturns, check your junk mail/spam folder.
- The passwords provided in obligation letters sent by the AEC are 'single-use' passwords only. After your first login, you will need to change your password.
- Passwords are case sensitive, must be at least 8 characters long and have at least one letter and one number.
- It is a good idea to write down your username and password and store them in a safe place, especially if you do not intend to log into eReturns regularly.
- Annual returns cover a financial year from 1 July to 30 June. Be sure any receipts or payments you are reporting fall within the period covered by the return.
- Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*). If you leave a required field blank, you will not be able to proceed.
- For best results, use an up-to-date version of Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari or Firefox.
If you need additional information, assistance or to obtain a username and password, please contact the Funding and Disclosure helpdesk.
Updated: 03 June 2019