Profile of the electoral division of Shortland (NSW)
Updated: 19 November 2019
- New South Wales
- Date this name and boundary was gazetted:
- 25 February 2016
- First election this name was used at:
- 1949 federal election
- First election this boundary was used at:
- 2016 federal election
- Maps of Division
- Name derivation:
- Named in honour of Naval Lieutenant John Shortland, 1769–1810. Shortland named the Hunter River, made the first chart of the harbour and collected samples of coal near what would become Shortland.
- 265 sq km
- Location Description:
- Shortland covers an area from Highfields, Cardiff and Boolaroo in the north to Budgewoi and San Remo in the south and is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean and on the west by Wallsend Road, Reservoir Road, Lowry Street, Main Road, Lake Macquarie, Wyee Road and Pacific Highway. The main suburbs include Belmont, Boolaroo, Budgewoi, Catherine Hill Bay, Cardiff, Caves Beach, Chain Valley Bay, Charlestown, Doyalson, Dudley, Eleebana, Gateshead, Gwandalan, Highfields, Hillsborough, Mannering Park, Redhead, San Remo, Speers Point, Swansea, Valentine and Windale.
This description reflects local government areas in existence in 2015.
- Demographic rating:
- Provincial – outside capital cities, but with a majority of enrolment in major provincial cities.
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Previous members:
- Former members for an electoral division of this name can be found by searching ‘Electoral divisions’ or ‘Members of the House of Representatives since 1901’ in the historical information section of the Parliamentary Handbook
- AEC contact:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Further information: