Profile of the electoral division of Cowper (NSW)
Updated: 19 November 2019
- New South Wales
- Date this name and boundary was gazetted:
- 25 February 2016
- First election this name was used at:
- 1901 federal election
- First election this boundary was used at:
- 2016 federal election
- Maps of Division
- Name derivation:
- Named in honour of Sir Charles Cowper CMG KCMG, 1807–75. Cowper was a statemsan who served as Premier of New South Wales on five occasions.
- 7 296 sq km
- Location Description:
- Cowper covers an area from Port Macquarie in the south to Coffs Harbour in the north. The main towns include Bellingen, Bowraville, Coffs Harbour, Crescent Head, Dorrigo, Gladstone, Hat Head, Kempsey, Macksville, Nambucca Heads, Sawtell, South West Rocks, Port Macquarie, Ulong and Urunga.
This description reflects local government areas in existence in 2015.
- Demographic rating:
- Provincial – outside capital cities, but with a majority of enrolment in major provincial cities.
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Previous members:
- Former members for an electoral division of this name can be found by searching ‘Electoral divisions’ or ‘Members of the House of Representatives since 1901’ in the historical information section of the Parliamentary Handbook
- AEC contact:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Further information: