Profile of the electoral division of Cook (NSW)
Updated: 19 November 2019
- New South Wales
- Date this name and boundary was gazetted:
- 25 February 2016
- First election this name was used at:
- 1906 federal election
Note: The name was retired for the 1955 federal election and resurrected for the 1969 federal election.
- First election this boundary was used at:
- 2016 federal election
- Maps of Division
- Name derivation:
- Named in honour of Captain James Cook FRS, 1728–79. Cook was a navigator in the Royal Navy who is credited as the first European to discover the east coast of Australia in 1770.
- 94 sq km
- Location Description:
- Cook covers an area from Kurnell and Cronulla in the east to Sylvania and Gymea Bay in the west and from Kyle Bay, Monterey and Botany Bay in the north to Dents Creek and Hacking River in the south. Suburbs include Monterey, Beverley Park, Blakehurst, Burraneer, Caringbah, Carss Park, Cronulla, Greenhills Beach, Gymea, Gymea Bay, Kyle Bay, Kurnell, Lilli Pilli, Miranda, Sandringham, Sans Souci, Sylvania, Sylvania Waters, Taren Point and Yowie Bay.
This description reflects local government areas in existence in 2015.
- Demographic rating:
- Inner Metropolitan – situated in capital cities and consisting of well-established built-up suburbs.
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Previous members:
- Former members for an electoral division of this name can be found by searching ‘Electoral divisions’ or ‘Members of the House of Representatives since 1901’ in the historical information section of the Parliamentary Handbook
- AEC contact:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Further information: