Living or going overseas

I am going overseas for a short period of time

If you are going overseas for a short period of time and plan to return to your address in Australia you may still enrol and vote.

If you are already enrolled complete and submit an:

This form provides you with the option to keep your details on the electoral roll so you will be able to vote in federal elections while overseas.

I am living or working overseas

If you are overseas and are intending to return to Australia within six years you can register as an overseas elector.

If you are already enrolled, you can apply up to three months before, or within three years after, you leave Australia. To do this, complete and submit a:

This form provides you with an option to become a general postal voter so you will automatically receive a postal vote in the mail approximately 2–3 weeks after the announcement of the federal election.

If you are not enrolled, and have been overseas for less than three years, you may still be eligible to enrol if you are:

  • an Australian citizen aged 18 years or older, and
  • intending to return to Australia within six years.

You cannot enrol for an overseas address – instead you must enrol in the electorate you were entitled to before you left Australia.

To apply for enrolment, complete and submit an:

I am moving overseas indefinitely

If you are moving overseas indefinitely, and do not intend to return to Australia, please complete and submit an:

Your name will be removed from the electoral roll and you will not be able to vote in any federal elections held while you are overseas. Should you return to Australia to live permanently, you may re-enrol after you have been at your residential address for a period of one month.

I have turned 18 and live overseas with my family

If you are the child of a person who is registered as an overseas elector you can enrol and vote in federal elections if you:

  • have never been enrolled
  • are an Australian citizen
  • are 18 years or older and had not turned 18 before leaving Australia, and
  • intend to return to live in Australia within six years after your 18th birthday.

If you wish to enrol to vote, complete and submit an:

Updated: 07 July 2021
Back to top