2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Wakefield (SA)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- South Australia
- Current, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011.
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Wakefield (2011) [PDF 338KB]
Map of the Division of Wakefield (2011) [PDF 2.8MB]
Download GIS data
- Name Derivation:
- Named after Edward Gibbon Wakefield 1796–1862, whose theories of colonisation had a great impact on the formation of settlements in Western Australia and South Australia.
- Area and Location Description:
- Wakefield covers an area of approximately 6 407 sq km from Salisbury in the northern suburbs of Adelaide to Clare in the Clare Valley, 135 km north of Adelaide. The main suburbs include Elizabeth, Salisbury (part), Craigmore and Munno Para. The towns of Virginia, Gawler, Port Wakefield (part), Balaklava, Clare, Kapunda, Riverton, Mallala, Freeling, Tarlee and Williamstown are also included in this division.
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- Commercial, retail and technology based industry, defence, Edinburgh RAAF Base, automotive manufacturing, cereal crops, sheep, cattle, market gardens and viticulture.
- First Proclaimed/Election:
- Demographic Rating:
- Champion, N (ALP) 2007–
Fawcett, D (LP) 2004–2007
Andrew, N (LP) 1983–2004
Giles, G (LP) 1977–1983
Kelly, C R (LP) 1958–1977
McBride, P A M (LP) 1946–1958
Smith, A E (ALP) 1943–1946
Duncan-Hughes, J G (UAP) 1940–1943
McHugh, S (ALP) 1938–1940
Hawker, C A S (NAT/UAP) 1929–1938
Collins, M (CP) 1928–1929
Foster, R W (ANTI-SOC/LIB/NAT) 1909–1928
Holder, F W (PROT/ANTI-SOC) 1903–1909
- Current Member Details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Wakefield
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Wakefield
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Wakefield
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.