2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Ryan (Qld)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- Current, boundary gazetted 15 December 2009
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Ryan (2009) [PDF 648KB]
Map of the Division of Ryan (2009) [PDF 2MB]
Download GIS data
- Name derivation:
- Named after Thomas Ryan (1876–1921), Premier of Queensland 1915–19.
- Area and Location Description:
- Ryan covers an area of approximately 441 sq km mainly on the western side of the City of Brisbane. The division is located north of the Brisbane River from Auchenflower in the east to Kholo in the west and north to Keperra and Ferny Grove and the boundary of the City of Brisbane in the north and west. The main suburbs and localities include Bellbowrie, Brookfield, Chapel Hill, Enoggera, Indooroopilly, Karana Downs, Kenmore, Keperra, Mitchelton, St Lucia, Taringa, The Gap, Toowong, Upper Kedron and parts of Ashgrove, Auchenflower, Bardon, Paddington and Lake Manchester.
- Products/industries of the area:
- The area is mainly residential and acreage suburbs with some commercial and retail activities. The University of Queensland is located on the Brisbane River at St Lucia, while all of Brisbane's television transmitters are on Mount Coot-tha. The suburb of Sumner is partially devoted to light industry. By way of contrast, some farming still occurs in the outlying suburbs and the division also includes a large portion of Brisbane Forest Park.
- First proclaimed/election:
- Demographic rating:
- Outer Metropolitan
- Prentice, J (LNQ) 2010–
Johnson, M (LP) 2001–2010
Short, L (ALP) 2001–2001
Moore, J (LP) 1975–2001
Drury, E N (LP) 1949–1975
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Ryan
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Ryan
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Ryan
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.