2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Shortland (NSW)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- New South Wales
- Current, boundary gazetted 22 December 2009
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Shortland (2009) [PDF 194KB]
Map of the Division of Shortland (2009) [PDF 3.0MB]
Download GIS data
- Name derivation:
- Named after Naval Lieutenant John Shortland (1769–1810) who discovered coal near Shortland.
- Area and Location Description:
- Shortland covers an area of approximately 205 sq km from Highfields and Kotara South in the north to Budgewoi and Lake Haven in the south and is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean and on the west by the Newcastle bypass, Hillsborough Road, King Street, the eastern shoreline of Lake Macquarie, Wyee Road, the Pacific Highway, Wallarah Rd, the southern shoreline of Budgewoi Lake, the Budgewoi/Toukley locality boundary, Budgewoi Road and Werepi Street. The main suburbs include Belmont, Budgewoi, Catherine Hill Bay, Caves Beach, Chain Valley Bay, Charlestown, Dudley, Eleebana, Floraville, Gateshead, Gwandalan, Halekulani, Highfields, Jewells, Kahibah, Kotara South, Lake Haven, Lake Munmorah, Mannering Park, Nords Wharf, Redhead, San Remo, Summerland Point, Swansea, Tingira Heights, Valentine, Whitebridge, Windale and parts of Doyalson, Gorokan, Hillsborough and Warners Bay.
- Products/industries of the area:
- Coal mining, tourism, fishing, power stations, building industry and poultry farming.
- First proclaimed/election:
- Demographic rating:
- Hall, J (ALP) 1998–
Morris, P (ALP) 1972–1998
Griffiths, C E (ALP) 1949–1972
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Shortland
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Shortland
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Shortland
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.