2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of McMahon (NSW) (formerly Prospect)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- New South Wales
- Current, boundary gazetted 22 December 2009
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of McMahon (2009) [PDF 115KB]
Map of the Division of McMahon (2009) [PDF 8.0MB]
Download GIS data
- Name derivation:
- Named after Sir William McMahon (1908–1988), 20th Prime Minister of Australia 1971–1972.
- Area and Location Description:
- McMahon covers an area of approximately 161 sq km bounded by South Creek in the west, the north boundary follows the Western Motorway to Flushcombe Road then up to the Great Western Highway heading east to Centenary Road, South Wentworthville. The eastern boundary follows Centenary Road to the Prospect canal then west to Cumberland Highway and south along Prospect Creek and follows around onto Orphan School Creek surrounding Fairfield, Fairfield Heights and through Fairfield West to Smithfield Road. The southern boundary follows Smithfield Road to Edensor Park Road and through Edensor Park to Cow Pasture Road south to Elizabeth Drive and west to meet South Creek at Kemps Creek. Suburbs include: Abbotsbury, Blacktown, Bossley Park, Canley Vale, Cecil Park, Eastern Creek, Edensor Park, Erskine Park, Fairfield, Fairfield Heights, Fairfield West, Greenfield Park, Greystanes, Horsley Park, Kemps Creek, Merrylands, Merrylands West, Mount Vernon, Orchard Hills, Pemulwuy, Prairiewood, Prospect, Smithfield, South Wentworthville, St Clair and Wetherill Park.
- Products/industries of the area:
- Building/construction, light manufacturing, wholesale and retail, transport industry, agriculture and mixed farming.
- First proclaimed:
- Demographic rating:
- Outer Metropolitan
- Bowen, C (ALP) 2004–
Crosio, J (ALP) 1990–2004
Klugman, R E (ALP) 1969–1990
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for McMahon
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.