2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Hughes (NSW)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- New South Wales
- Current, boundary gazetted 22 December 2009
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Hughes (2009) [PDF 175KB]
Map of the Division of Hughes (2009) [PDF 7.7MB]
Download GIS data
- Name derivation:
- Named after William Hughes (1862–1952), Prime Minister of Australia 1915–23.
- Area and Location Description:
- Hughes covers an area of approximately 178 sq km with the Georges River, Hume Hwy and Terminus street forming the western boundary. The Cabramatta Creek, Georges River, Milperra Road, Queen Street and Uranus Road make up the boundary to the north. The Illawarra Railway line and Woronora River form the eastern boundary. Hughes encompasses the local government areas of Bankstown, Liverpool and Sutherland with Liverpool and Sutherland LGA's providing the boundary to the south. The main suburbs include Alfords Point, Bangor, Barden Ridge, Chipping Norton, East Hills, Engadine, Hammondville, Holsworthy, Illawong, Loftus, Lucas Heights, Menai, Milperra, Moorebank, Panania, Picnic Point, Revesby, Warwick Farm, Wattle Grove, Woronora and parts of Jannali, Liverpool and Sutherland.
- Products/industries of the area:
- Atomic reactor, light manufacturing industries, army base at Holsworthy.
- First proclaimed/election:
- Demographic rating:
- Outer Metropolitan
- Kelly, C (LP) 2010–
Vale, D (LP) 1996–2010
Tickner, R E (ALP) 1984–1996
Johnson, L R (ALP) 1969–1983
Dobie, J D (LP) 1966–1969
Johnson, L R (ALP) 1955–1966
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Hughes
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Hughes
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Hughes
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.