Silent Electors

Updated: 11 July 2018

The PDFs on this page are fillable. Download and complete them on your device using Acrobat reader, or print them out and complete by hand. Returning your form to the AEC.

I need to keep my address private, what can I do?

You can apply to register as a silent elector if you believe having your address on the electoral roll would put you or your family's safety at risk.

If you are granted silent elector status only your name is shown on the publicly available electoral roll.

How do I apply?

If you are already enrolled, you can register as a silent elector by selecting the silent elector form for your state or territory from the list below.

You will need to:

  • read page one of the form to check you qualify for silent elector status,
  • complete the form,
  • complete the statutory declaration and explain what you consider the risk to be and why your personal safety (or that of your family) is at risk.

If you are not enrolled, you can enrol online or complete a PDF version of the enrolment form and then return it to the AEC with your silent elector form.

A separate silent elector form is required for each person requesting silent elector status. You can provide one statutory declaration as long as it includes the names of all the people applying.

Silent elector status is not granted automatically. Each application is considered by the Divisional Returning Officer and a decision is made based on whether it meets the legal conditions for silent elector status.

I've moved house/changed my name, do I need to apply again?

No, you don't need to reapply to be a silent elector but you do need to update your enrolment with your new details. You can change your address or change your name online with the AEC. When the AEC updates your enrolment details you will continue to be registered as a silent elector.

If you are unsure contact your local AEC office for further information.

Silent elector forms

Returning your completed form

Back to top