Profile of the electoral division of Maribyrnong (Vic)
Updated: 25 September 2013
- Current, boundary gazetted 24 December 2010.
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Maribyrnong (2010) [PDF 1MB]
Map of the Division of Maribyrnong (2010) [PDF 20.2MB]
Download GIS data
- Name Derivation:
- Named after the Maribyrnong River. Maribyrnong is an Aboriginal word for 'yam' or 'edible root'.
- Area and Location Description:
- The Division of Maribyrnong is located in Melbourne's north-western suburbs. It covers an area of approximately 73 sq km from Moonee Ponds in the east to St Albans in the west, Airport West in the north to Braybrook in the south. The suburbs include Aberfeldie, Airport West, Avondale Heights, Braybrook, Essendon, Essendon North, Essendon West, Kealba, Keilor East, Maidstone (part), Maribyrnong, Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, St Albans, Sunshine North and Strathmore (part).
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- Mainly suburban housing, with areas of light manufacturing and retail businesses. Recreational landmarks include Moonee Valley Racecourse and Brimbank Park.
- First Proclaimed/Election:
- Demographic Rating:
- Inner Metropolitan
- Shorten, W (ALP) 2007–
Sercombe, B (ALP) 1996–2007
Griffiths, A G (ALP) 1983–1996
Cass, M H (ALP) 1969–1983
Stokes, P W C (LP) 1955–1969
Drakeford, A S (FLP/ALP) 1934–1955
Fenton, J E (ALP/UAP) 1910–1934
Mauger, S (PROT) 1906–1910
- Current Member Details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
2013 federal election – House of Representatives results for Maribyrnong
2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Maribyrnong
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Maribyrnong
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Maribyrnong
2013 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.