Profile of the electoral division of Barker (SA)
Updated: 25 September 2013
- South Australia
- Current, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011.
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Barker (2011) [PDF 540KB]
Map of the Division of Barker (2011) [PDF 4.5MB]
Download GIS data
- Name Derivation:
- Named after Captain Collet Barker 1784–1831, an explorer in South Australia and the Northern Territory.
- Area and Location Description:
- Barker covers an area of approximately 63 886 sq km from Morgan in the north to Port MacDonnell in the south. The eastern boundary is the South Australian border. It includes the Upper and Lower South East, the Mallee, the Riverland, the Murrayland and most of the Barossa Valley. The towns of Barmera, Berri, Bordertown, Keith, Kingston SE, Loxton, Mannum, Millicent, Mount Gambier, Murray Bridge, Naracoorte, Nuriootpa (part), Penola, Renmark, Tanunda (part), Tailem Bend, and Waikerie are in this division.
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- Beef and dairy cattle, sheep, fishing, cropping, forestry, timber, paper products, wine, fresh and dried fruit, vegetables, transport and tourism.
- First Proclaimed/Election:
- Demographic Rating:
- Pasin, T (LP) 2013–
Secker, P (LP) 1998–2013
McLachlan, I (LP) 1990–1998
Porter, J R (LP) 1975–1990
Forbes, A J (LP) 1956–1975
Cameron, A G (CP/LP/LCL/LP) 1934–1956
Cameron, M D (NAT/UAP/LP) 1922–1934
Livingston, J (ANTI–SOC/LIB/NAT) 1906–1922
Bonython, J L (PROT) 1903–1906
- Current Member Details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
2013 federal flection – House of Representatives results for Barker
2010 federal flection – House of Representatives results for Barker
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Barker
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Barker
2013 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.