Profile of the electoral division of Lingiari (NT)
Updated: 27 February 2017
- Northern Territory
- Date this name and boundary was gazetted:
- 7 February 2017
- First election this name was used at:
- 2001 federal election
- First election this boundary was used at:
- The next federal election following the 2016 federal election
- Map and data:
- Name Derivation:
- Named in honour of Vincent Lingiari AM 19??–88, who was a member of the Gurindji people from the Victoria River District. Mr Lingiari was a stockman and lands right leader who worked for many years to improve conditions for Aboriginal people. In 1966, he led the walk-off of his people from Wave Hill Station, which eventually resulted in the establishment of Wattie Creek and a land grant to the Gurindji people.
- 1,348,157.94 sq km
- Location description:
- Lingiari covers the majority of the Northern Territory, with the exception of the Darwin Municipality and most of the Palmerston Municipality.
Lingiari includes the Territory of Cocos (Keeling) Islands and the Territory of Christmas Island.
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- Cattle, tourism, horticulture, fishing, light industry in Alice Springs, bauxite, copper, gold and uranium mining.
- Demographic Rating:
- Rural – outside capital cities and without majority of enrolment in major provincial cities.
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Snowdon, W (ALP) 2001–
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Further information:
2016 federal election – House of Representatives results for Lingiari
2013 federal election – House of Representatives results for Lingiari
2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Lingiari
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Lingiari
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Lingiari
2016 divisional profile
2013 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.