Named after Andrew 'Banjo' Paterson (1864–1941), Australian author and poet. There is also conjecture that the division was first named in 1947 after Colonel William Paterson 1755–1810 after whom the town and river within the division were named.
Area and Location Description:
Paterson covers an area of approximately 6 652 sq km and extends from Raymond Terrace, Medowie and Anna Bay in the south to the southern boundary of Greater Taree local government area in the north and west to the Great Dividing Range. The main towns include Anna Bay, Bulahdelah, Clarence Town, Dungog, Forster, Hawks Nest, Lemon Tree Passage, Medowie, Morpeth, Nelson Bay, Paterson, Raymond Terrace, Stroud, Tuncurry and parts of Nabiac, Thornton and East Maitland.
Products/industries of the area:
Timber, beef and dairy cattle, mixed farming, maize, sawmilling, fishing and oyster farming, tourism and general engineering.
1947/1949 (Division was abolished in 1984 and re-established at the 1992 redistribution.)
Baldwin, B (LP) 2001–
Horne, R H (ALP) 1998–2001
Baldwin, R C (LP) 1996–1998
Horne, R H (ALP) 1993–1996
O'Keefe, F L (CP/NCP/NP) 1969–1984
Fairhall, A (LP) 1949–1969