Profile of the electoral division of New England (NSW)
Updated: 10 February 2017
A by-election is currently underway for the Division of Bennelong (16 December 2017).
- New South Wales
- Date this name and boundary was gazetted:
- 25 February 2016
- First election for this name and boundary:
- 2016 federal election
- Maps of Division
- Name derivation:
- Named after the area of New England, the largest highland area in Australia.
- 66 394 sq km
- Location Description:
- New England covers an area from the Queensland border in the north to Merriwa, Aberdeen and Scone in the south. The main towns include Aberdeen, Armidale, Ashford, Barraba, Bingara, Glenn Innes, Guyra, Inverell, Manilla, Merriwa, Murrurundi, Nundle, Quirindi, Satur, Scone, Tamworth, Tenterfield, Tingha, Urbenville and Walcha.
This description reflects local government areas in existence in 2015.
- Products/industries of the area:
- Cattle, sheep, grain, forestry, dairying, oats, maize, fruit, vegetables, tin-mining, bricks, trout hatchery, tourism, concrete pipe works, leather goods, tannery, gemstones, tobacco, lucerne, honey, grain processing, rubber industry, plaster works and concrete.
- First proclaimed/election:
- Demographic rating:
- Rural – outside capital cities and without majority of enrolment in major provincial cities.
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Joyce, B * (NP) 2013–
- Windsor, T (IND) 2001–2013
- St Clair, S (NP) 1998–2001
- Sinclair, I (CP/NCP/NP) 1963–1998
- Drummond, D H (CP) 1949–1963
- Abbott, J P (CP) 1940–1949
- Thompson, V C (CP) 1922–1940
- Hay, A (NAT & FARMERS/CP/IND) 1919–1922
- Abbott, P P (LIB/NAT) 1913–1919
- Foster, F J (ALP) 1906–1913
- Lonsdale, E (FT) 1903–1906
- Sawers, W B S C (PROT) 1901–1903
* On 27 October 2017, the High Court of Australia sitting as the Court of Disputed Returns determined that Mr Barnaby Joyce was disqualified from nominating for the 2016 federal election, due to the operation of s44 of the Constitution.
- AEC contact:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Further information: