Fifty young Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people will be selected, six from each state and territory and two from the Torres Strait, to come to Canberra for the week-long program.
Applications for NIYP 2017 have closed.
The AEC is currently assessing applications. The selection process will be finalised in early April.
Both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified in early April 2017.
What can I expect at NIYP?
If you are offered a place in NIYP 2017, you will:
- attend a training day in your state or territory on:
- Saturday 22 April for participants from NSW, Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania
- Saturday 29 April for participants from Victoria, Western Australia, the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory
- attend the residential program in Canberra from 23–29 May 2017
- meet young leaders from around the country
- meet Members of Parliament, Indigenous leaders and academics
- learn about Australia's democracy and parliament
- debate issues in the House of Representatives in Old Parliament House
- learn about the media
- develop your leadership skills.
What does it cost to participate?
The participation fee is $200. You do not need to pay this yourself – the Australian Electoral Commission will help you to seek sponsorship from organisations in your community. All costs for travel, meals, accommodation, workshops and planned recreational activities are included.
Who runs the NIYP?
The NIYP is run by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) in collaboration with the YMCA and the Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House (MoAD), supported by a taskforce of staff and volunteers, including former NIYP participants.
Terms and conditions
Applicants agree to:
- uphold the values of the NIYP (if selected) including respect for others, responsible behaviour and commitment to a tobacco, alcohol and drug free event
- prepare for and participate in all program events
- accept the AEC's selection of participants as final
- discuss your participation with your parent or guardian if you are under 18 (you will require parent/guardian permission if you are offered a place)
- enrol to vote before the program commences (you can enrol to vote from age 16)
- attend the training day on Saturday 22 April 2017 for participants in NSW, QLD, SA or TAS or Saturday 29 April 2017 for participants in VIC, WA, ACT or NT
- attend the residential program from 23 to 29 May 2017
- your personal information being used by the AEC and the YMCA to select participants and notify applicants.
Contact the NIYP Taskforce on 1300 103 183 or email Indigenous@aec.gov.au
The NIYP 2017 is a collaboration of the AEC, the YMCA and the Museum of Australian Democracy.