2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Lalor (Vic)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- Current, boundary gazetted 24 December 2010.
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Lalor (2010) [PDF 1.5MB]
Map of the Division of Lalor (2010) [PDF 7.0MB]
Download GIS data
- Name Derivation:
- Named after Peter Lalor 1827–89, leader of the Eureka Stockade rebellion in 1854. In 1855 he was one of the first representatives from the goldfields elected to the Victorian Legislative Council.
- Area and Location Description:
- The Division of Lalor is located to the south-west of Melbourne. It covers an area of approximately 546 sq km. Lalor is a rapidly expanding area extending from Port Phillip Bay inland. The main suburbs include part of Altona Meadows and Truganina and all of Hoppers Crossing, Laverton, Laverton North, Little River, Point Cook, Seabrook, Tarneit, Werribee, Werribee South, Williams Landing and Wyndham Vale. Rural areas of Eynesbury (part), Mount Cottrell (part), Quandong, Mambourin and Cocoroc are also included.
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- Some heavy industries and manufacturing, market gardening, wineries, Melbourne's water treatment plant, Werribee Racecourse and Werribee Park National Equestrian Centre, Werribee Mercy Hospital, University of Melbourne Veterinary School, Agriculture and Food Technology Precinct, tertiary education facilities, Werribee Open Range Zoo, tourism precincts including beaches, retail precincts and shopping centres.
- First Proclaimed/Election:
- Demographic Rating:
- Outer Metropolitan
- Gillard, J (ALP) 1998–
Jones, B O (ALP) 1977–1998
Cairns, J F (ALP) 1969–1977
Lee, M W (LP) 1966–1969
Pollard, R T (ALP) 1949–1966
- Current Member Details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Lalor
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Lalor
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Lalor
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.