2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Gellibrand (Vic)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- Current, boundary gazetted 24 December 2010.
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Gellibrand (2010) [PDF 758KB]
Map of the Division of Gellibrand (2010) [PDF 12.9MB]
Download GIS data
- Name Derivation:
- Named after Joseph Gellibrand 1786–1836, lawyer and explorer.
- Area and Location Description:
- The Division of Gellibrand is located west of Melbourne. It covers an area of approximately 102 sq km from Maidstone in the north to Williamstown on Port Phillip Bay in the south, from the Maribyrnong River in the east, along Port Phillip Bay to Altona Meadows in the west. The main suburbs include Albion, Altona, Altona Meadows (part), Altona North, Ardeer, Brooklyn, Footscray, Footscray West, Kingsville, Maidstone (part), Newport, Seaholme, South Kingsville, Sunshine, Sunshine West, Spotswood, Tottenham, Yarraville and Williamstown.
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- Food processing, petrochemical and carbon products, one of Australia's largest marine engineering facilities, transport facilities, warehousing. Other industries include tourism and leisure in the historic precincts and along the bay, tertiary education sector, student accommodation, industrial and commercial parks and retail sector including strip shopping centres and major shopping hubs including homemaker centres.
- First Proclaimed/Election:
- Demographic Rating:
- Inner Metropolitan
- Roxon, N (ALP) 1998–
Willis, R (ALP) 1972–1998
McIvor, H J (ALP) 1955–1972
Mullens, J M (ALP) 1949–1955
- Current Member Details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Gellibrand
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Gellibrand
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Gellibrand
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.