2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Port Adelaide (SA)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- South Australia
- Current, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011.
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Port Adelaide (2011) [PDF 367KB]
Map of the Division of Port Adelaide (2011) [PDF 3.5MB]
Download GIS data
- Name Derivation:
- Named after the locality which was discovered by Collet Barker in 1831.
- Area and Location Description:
- Port Adelaide covers an area of approximately 181 sq km from Buckland Park in the north down to Grange Road in the south whilst its eastern boundary takes in parts of Salisbury. The area also includes Torrens Island and Garden Island. Other suburbs in this division are Alberton, Beverley, Birkenhead, Cheltenham, Findon, Kilkenny, Largs Bay, Mansfield Park, North Haven, Ottoway, Parafield Gardens, Paralowie, Pennington, Port Adelaide, Queenstown, Rosewater, Salisbury Downs, Seaton (part), Semaphore, Woodville and West Croydon.
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- Brewery, cement, commercial fishing, electricity generation, flour mills, grain bulk handling, heavy engineering, manufacturing industry, motion picture production, petroleum storage, police academy, salt, shipping, stevedoring, warship & submarine construction, waste disposal and wool stores.
- First Proclaimed/Election:
- Demographic Rating:
- Inner Metropolitan
- Butler, M (ALP) 2007–
Sawford, R (ALP) 1988–2007
Young, M J (ALP) 1974–1988
Birrell, F R (ALP) 1963–1974
Thompson, A V (ALP) 1949–1963
- Current Member Details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Port Adelaide
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Port Adelaide
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Port Adelaide
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.