2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Kennedy (Qld)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- Current, boundary gazetted 15 December 2009
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Kennedy (2009) [PDF 1.5MB]
Map of the Division of Kennedy (2009) [PDF 5.6MB]
Download GIS data
- Name derivation:
- Named after Edmund Kennedy (1818–48), explorer.
- Area and Location Description:
- Kennedy covers an area of approximately 568 993 sq km from the Gulf of Carpentaria and Mareeba in the north, to Boulia in the south, and from the Queensland border in the west to the Pacific Ocean in the east. The main towns include Atherton, Babinda, Camooweal, Charters Towers, Cloncurry, Georgetown, Gordonvale, Hughenden, Ingham, Innisfail, Mareeba, Mount Isa, Normanton and Tully.
- Products/industries of the area:
- Mainly primary production including grains (sorghum, sunflowers, wheat), beef cattle, cotton, coal mining, gemstones, sheep, sugar, agricultural services, copper, gold, silver, tin, lead, zinc, uranium, fishing (prawns, crabs, barramundi), marble, tobacco, fruit and vegetables, peanuts, dairy products and tourism.
- First proclaimed/election:
- Demographic rating:
- Katter, B (Katter's Australian Party/IND/NP) 1993–
Hulls, R J (ALP) 1990–1993
Katter, R C (NP) 1966–1990
Riordan, W J F (FLP/ALP) 1936–1966
Riordan, D (FLP/ALP) 1929–1936
Francis, G A (NAT) 1925–1929
McDonald, C (ALP) 1901–1925
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Kennedy
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Kennedy
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Kennedy
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.