22 December 2009
New South Wales
Named after Elizabeth Macarthur (1766–1850) and Captain John Macarthur (1767–1834), early settlers in New South Wales and founders of the Australian merino wool industry.
Macarthur covers an area of approximately 798 sq km stretching from Warragamba and Lake Burragorang in the west to Appin, Wedderburn, Airds, Ruse and Kentlyn in the east. The northern boundary extends east from Lake Burragorang along Werriberri Creek, Eltons Road, Taylors Road, Nepean River, Bringelly Creek, Greendale Road and Bringelly Road to the intersection with Allenby Road. In the south from Eltons Rd following the Nepean River to Ellis Lane, Sickles Creek and Fosters Lane, Westbrook Road, Cawdor Road, past Mt Hercules Road and into Remembrance Drive, Donalds Range Road to the Nepean and Cataract Rivers, Lake Cataract being the most southern point. Main towns and suburbs include Ambarvale, Appin, Bradbury, Camden, Cawdor, Campbelltown, Glen Alpine, Harrington Park, Mount Annan, Narellan, Rossmore, St Helens Park, and parts of Bringelly, Catherine Field, Douglas Park, Leumeah, Razorback and Rossmore.
The area contains residential, commercial, small business and light industrial activities. The area also produces fruit, vegetables, fodder crops, wine and is a centre for horse-breeding, agistment and tourism. The historic Belgenny Farm, former home of John & Elizabeth Macarthur, the Macarthur Campus of the University of Western Sydney, the University of Sydney farms and the Mount Annan Botanic Gardens are also located within the Macarthur electorate.
Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
For supporting information, see Party Codes, Demographic Ratings and Seat Status.