2007 federal election: Profile of the Electoral Division of Flinders
Updated: 16 September 2011
Named after Matthew Flinders 1774–1814, well-known navigator and explorer. The adoption of the name Australia is due to him.
Area and Location Description:
Flinders covers an area of approximately 1 955 sq km from Portsea in the south west to Mt Martha, Baxter, Cranbourne South, Kooweerup and Lang Lang along the northern sector to San Remo and Dalyston in the south east. The division surrounds and encompasses Western Port Bay including French Island and Phillip Island. The main towns include Rye, Rosebud, Dromana, Hastings, Baxter, Kooweerup, Nyora (part), Cowes, San Remo and Dalyston (part).
Map of Division:
Products/Industries of the Area:
Steel-rolling mill, dairy farms, fishing, poultry, wineries, orchards, light industries and tourist industries.
- Hunt, G (LP) 2001–
- Reith, P (LP) 1984–2001
- Chynoweth, R L (ALP) 1983–1984
- Reith, P (LP) 1982–1983
- Lynch, P R (LP) 1966–1982
- Lindsay, R W L (LP) 1954–1966
- Ewert, K W W (ALP) 1952–1954
- Ryan, R S (UAP/LP) 1940–1952
- Fairbairn, J V (UAP) 1933–1940
- Bruce, S M (UAP) 1931–1933
- Holloway, E J (ALP) 1929–1931
- Bruce, S M (NAT) 1918–1929
- Irvine, W H (ANTI-SOC/LIB/NAT) 1906–1918
- Gibb, J (FT) 1903–1906
- Groom, A C (FT) 1901–1903
Current Member Details:
Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
AEC Divisional Office Address:
Divisional Office Contact Details
2007 Federal Election Results:
House of Representatives results for Flinders
For supporting information, see Party Codes, Demographic Ratings and Seat Status.